# Hello Techers!
There is a request from the top to hire scientists with high fluid intelligence. And, on the recommendation of one of your alums, (Virgil Griffith), we are reaching out to the Caltech community to hire such people.
# Our Work
By cumulative marketcap (all coins stored on it), Ethereum is the most valuable blockchain in the world. We are seeking scientists to join the Ethereum Foundation within the Research division to devise innovative solutions to scale and develop the Ethereum blockchain. Our research discussion board is ethresear.ch. Take a look around there and see if anything interests you. We are currently focused on: [Plasma](https://ethresear.ch/c/plasma), [sharding](https://ethresear.ch/c/sharding), [cryptoeconomics](https://ethresear.ch/c/economics), and [Casper](https://ethresear.ch/c/casper). Finally, here is a more complete list of our [ongoing research projects](http://notes.ethereum.org/s/rkxpeG0ff).
There are many societal benefits of the Ethereum including transparency, disintermediation, and decentralization. However, the greatest is that it allows society to play new positive-sum games that were previously impossible to play.
If you're new to blockchain, don't worry, it's easier than say, physics. But you'll be expected to learn quickly. Some materials:
* [The Princeton 2015 Bitcoin course](https://piazza.com/princeton/spring2015/btctech/resources)
* The book [Blockchain Basics](https://leanpub.com/blockchainknowledgetree?utm_source=AcademyE-BookDistro&utm_campaign=57b2ff2af8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_11&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_86baccb6d0-57b2ff2af8-155538565) from Consensys is a fine tutorial on the Ethereum ecosystem.
* Andreessen-Horowitz's [Crypto Canon](https://a16z.com/2018/02/10/crypto-readings-resources/) listing for modern commentary.
* A [curated list](https://iohk.io/research/library/) of blockchain research papers
* The courses at [BlockGeeks](https://blockgeeks.com/)
# Our Culture
* Two principle components of our culture, openness and decentralization, are well covered in the NYTimes article [Beyond the Bitcoin Bubble](https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/magazine/beyond-the-bitcoin-bubble.html).
* On Radical Markets in Ethereum: [video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfLFIJYp6A&feature=youtu.be) and [follow-up text](https://medium.com/@VitalikButerin/liberation-through-radical-decentralization-22fc4bedc2ac).
* We like pareto improvements, cooperating in one-off prisoner's dilemmas, benevolence, pragmatism, recognition of trade-offs, rainbows, and unicorns.
## I already have a specific project in mind
1. Great! We do offer "Hackternships". Suggest a problem you want to solve and we'll discuss giving you a mentor and $10,000 for funding for a 10-week externship for your spare-time working on Ethereum. Successful projects will be featured at a developer conference. We are also looking to hire and fund from this pool of side projects. [Apply here](https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_Fi0UmsdYefkRmWZg12QJOQgQoEajAJPvJw1tRI9N0c/viewform?edit_requested=true). [Previous winners](https://blog.ethereum.org/2018/03/07/announcing-beneficiaries-ethereum-foundation-grants/).
## I don't know of any project yet
Usually people don't know what to do yet. And they want something with a bit more hand-holding. In this case,
1. See our [Ethereum Research Employee Journey](https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1gC1gcnHCEHyBGm09dNt2MMiT3YiXySU_kfqOjPZVQO4/edit?usp=sharing). This will familiarize you with the recruitment process.
2. Choose 2-3 research areas that interest you.
3. Fill out this [form](https://goo.gl/forms/4o4ALbn9Xl8VvQFU2) to indicate your interest
4. If we have a current need for your interest areas, Virgil Griffith will email you back and introduce you to the researchers captaining those areas.
5. If all goes well, we'll chat again in 1-2 months about a formal hiring.
## Free t-shirt!
We are giving out free [Ethereum t-shirts](https://swag.ethereum.org/collections/edu-swag) to students we respond to. Limited quantities available per address. See the [form](https://goo.gl/forms/4o4ALbn9Xl8VvQFU2) for more information.